Today is my first Christmas DIY that I'm sharing here this year. It's not technically the first project I've done, but the first one to get some photos taken. These wood bead ornaments must be the easiest Christmas ornaments to make. They seem to be quite popular in Scandinavian Christmas decor recently and I've seen some really lovely DIY ornaments with beads as well. I was inspired by these ornaments by Bloomingville. I used mint, grey and natural wood as the colours. I've been thinking about adding a little mint green to our mostly neutral Christmas decor.
I displayed the ornaments in a couple of spots in our house for this post. We like to keep our Finnish tradition of getting our Christmas tree much closer to Christmas (so no tree to hang these on yet). They may end up on the boys' wooden dowel advent tree though. The natural wood of the beads would go well with the wooden dowels of the tree.
The first spot I tried displaying the beads was on a dowel that I hung from a rhino head. I've had this guy up above our fireplace for some time. I tired of the mirror that was there before and because we have an outlet there for a picture light, I needed something to cover it up. The boys really like it. The littlest likes to point it out and growl. You may notice the black tree garlands from last year. I was going to hang them up across the fireplace, but kind of like the couple strings off to one side. The stockings were hung by my oldest. He found them in the Christmas decoration box and insisted they be hung. He also looks every morning in them to see if the new Planes Fire and Rescue DVD is inside. You can see the second spot where I hung the ornaments after the DIY.
Wooden Bead Ornament How To:
1. Materials: Wooden Craft Beads
Craft Paint & Brush
2. Paint your beads and then select a combination of a few to use for your ornament. Cut a piece of twine that is double the length of the beads + the height of your loop + extra for tying. Fold the piece of twine in half and tie a loop at the top that will be for hanging the ornament.
3. String the beads onto the doubled string below the knot you made in step 2. Then tie another knot at the base of the beads.
4. Trim off any excess twine at the bottom.
5. Your ornament is ready to be hung!
So there's a super simple Christmas ornament you can make in just a few minutes.
sharing here: inspiration gallery