Today I thought I would share one of the cookie recipes we made for Christmas- Candy Cane Kiss Cookies. These cookies feature those seasonal Hershey candy cane flavoured Kisses. Now might actually be a good time to make these as you'll likely find the Kisses on clearance :). These cookies are a little like a peppermint shortbread (crumbly texture). If you like shortbread and peppermint/candy cane flavour these are definitely worth a try. The Kisses and the rolling of the cookies in some sugar also make for a very pretty cookie.
I had fun taking pictures of these cookies on my favourite vintage Iittala "kastehelmi" plates and the new Aino Aalto glasses I ordered recently as a Christmas gift to myself :). The blue glass really popped when placed on top of a blue book.
I also had to have a few pictures with the Christmas lights bokeh. :)
The recipe is as follows:
Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 1/4 cups butter softened
1/4 - 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of Hershey's candy cane flavoured Kiss candies chopped
granulated sugar for rolling
approx. 40 unwrapped candy cane Kisses
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Make room in fridge or freezer for your cookie sheets
2. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl and put aside.
3. Blend butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy
4. Add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (depending on how much mint flavour you would like) and the vanilla extract.
5. Blend in the egg until well combined.
6. With your mixer on low blend in your dry ingredients.
7. Fold in your chopped candy cane Kisses.
8. Roll your dough into 3/4 inch balls and then roll them in granulated sugar to coat. Place sugar coated balls of dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. When you pull the cookies out of the oven allow them to cool slightly and then work quickly to place an unwrapped Kiss on top of each cookie (the cookies will crack a little). Then immediately place your cookie sheet in the fridge/freezer to cool to prevent the Kisses from melting.
adapted from recipe girl
linking to: 36th ave, Tatertots & Jello, iheartnaptime