Last week I showed our bedroom curtains and I have more bedroom updates today. We recently completed the picture ledges and finally finished filling the frames with photos this week. So here are the ledges above our dressers.
The dressers were hand-me-downs from my parents. I painted the drawer fronts white and then spray painted the handles teal this past summer. There are no "before" pictures as I was not blogging back then, sorry:(. If you would like to visualize what they looked like before, just think medium brown stain with brass handles (very 70s).
We wanted our ledges to be super simple and to be just the length of our dressers so we had to build them ourselves. They were made from two 1" x 6" (3/4" x 5.5" actual size) pine boards that we cut in half with the table saw. For each shelf:
1) We ended up with 2 pieces: 3/4" x 2.5" and 3/4" x 3" that were the length of our dressers.
2) The 3" board was screwed to the 2.5" board from the top (i.e., the 3" board was our ledge).
After a couple coats of really good paint, the ledges were mounted to the wall by screwing from the front of the underside/2.5" board at the studs. We countersunk our holes and filled them with wood filler and that was it. Super simple :).
We were a little concerned that as our ledges didn't have a lip that the pictures might fall, but we haven't had them move at all despite some vigorous testing (yours truly crazily jumping up and down). :)
I wanted the ledges to be mostly about the pictures so I used minimal accessories. The frames are all from IKEA. I already had some from there so I thought it would be easy to go there to see what would go with the ones I had. Yep, I arranged a bunch of frames on the display shelves at IKEA to decide what looked good.
'The photos are mostly of Little Pilot and Nalle and some photos from our wedding. Since the handles were turquoise already I wanted to add a bit of the turquoise to the ledges. The turquoise came via frames, a framed piece of fabric and ribbons that hold up Little Pilot's salt dough hand prints. We made those handprints this past Christmas after several unsuccessful attempts. It took Little Pilot a few introductions to the dough before he allowed his mommy to press his hand into it. The bird on the shelf is Iittala and was free. A previous tenant of an office Tech Guy rented left it behind. It was kinda crazy that another Finn had rented the same office. You can also see the handles in this picture.
I didn't really know what to put on the dressers and decided that it was about time I unpacked my milk glass collection that has been sitting in the basement since our move about 10 months ago. Yikes! I can't believe it took me that long and there are still more that needs unpacking! I may change it up a bit, but it was nice to see some of those pieces again. :)
linking to: domestically speaking, blue cricket design, home stories a to z, the shabby nest, miss mustard seed, whipper berry, thirty handmade days, tatertots and jello