I thought I would share some of the progress we have made with our bedroom. You can read about our plans for this room here. We have quite a few DIY projects in this room that we have been working on (headboard, painted dressers, custom closet, picture ledges and the curtains). Today I'm showing you the curtains I made since they are completely finished. Yaaay!
Let's do a little before and after:
Curtains before (circa 1960s):
What was up with those curtains? They didn't even have a rod and looked super awkward.
Anyhoo, here are the new curtains after:
I found this grey and white fabric on clearance for $4.00 per metre. The fabric had the stripes running vertically and I was worried that I would lose the grey and white stripe effect if I made them with vertical stripes. Since these curtains would be open most of the time they would look single coloured as often one of the colours ends up inside the fold. Thus, long story short, I railroaded my fabric to create horizontal stripes. You can see the full length of the curtain here and a little snippet of one of the dressers I painted.
I really like how they turned out this way (much more graphic and interesting). Railroading the fabric entailed cutting two pieces of fabric to the desired curtain width and then sewing them together along the side edge. I was also happy that the seam where I joined the two widths of fabric together is not too noticeable unless you are really looking for it. It's probably for a few reasons:
1. I made my seam on the white stripe,
2. I lined the drapes so that the light doesn't shine right through emphasizing the seam
3. the seam is below eye level
4. I was super careful to make sure the stripe with the seam was the same width as the other stripes.
I tried to take a picture to show you the seam in detail, but Little Pilot was not going for it. He had gotten up from his nap and needed his Mommy's full attention. Curtain photography session ended here. The seam is in the white stripe above Little Pilot's head.
Here's one more picture of how the room is coming together. I brought up this nightstand from the basement and am thinking of painting it. We need another one for my side of the bed (lucky Tech Guy, he actually gets some kind of nightstand) :). So lots to do still: figure out nightstands, hang the artwork that's just propped up, decorate, etc, etc.
Thanks for taking a look at our curtains. There's lots more to come!